- Urad Dal (Minapa Pappu ) – 1 cup
- Idli Rava – 3 cups (If you grind in wet grinder), 2 and 1/2 cups (if you grind in mixer)
- Soak Urad Dal (Minapa Pappu ) in a water separately for 8 hours. Soak Rava for 30 minutes.
- After 8 hours of soaking, drain water from the Urad Dal.
- Grind Urad Dal (preferably wet grinder) until the dough becomes very soft. While grinding, add water in between. For one cup of dal, it require around 300 ml of water. Do not add too much water.
- Mix Urad Dal dough and soaked rava well. Add salt as needed.
- Keep the mixed dough for about 6 to 8 hours in warm place and let it ferment.
- I usually keep the dough, inside the stove oven.
How to make:
- Take idly making vessel and pour 200 ml of water. Let the water comes to rolling boil.
- Grease oil to idly pans and spoon dough into the round slot of pan. Keep the idly pans inside the vessel and close the lid.
- Once, the steam started coming from vessel reduce the flame to low. Cook for about 7 minutes and check the idly is cooked or not. If the dough is sticky, cook it for 2 more minutes and check again. Idly cooking should not take more than 10 minutes.
- Take out idly from the pan with flat spoon.
- Serve the idly with your favorite chutney or sambar.
Note: left over dough can be kept in a fridge and use it for two weeks.